Wednesday, March 09, 2011

The Culture Of Our Home

Our church had a women's event last weekend with a bunch of different seminars and I sat in on one that was SO good.  It was about what kind of culture we are creating in our homes.  I just have to share the notes, they have been so challenging and great to think about how I can be more intentional as a mom with my two girls.

A culture of GRACE NOT SHAME
“There is therefore, now, no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” Romans 8:1
Motto:  I love you when you are good, I love you when you are bad, I love you when you are happy, I love you when you are sad.

A culture of REPENTANCE
“Bear fruit in keeping with repentance.”  Matthew 3:8
When parents ask for forgiveness, children will model them.

A culture of NON-HASTE
“The plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance, but everyone who is hasty comes to poverty.”  Proverbs 21:5
Motto:  Keep Calm & Carry On.  How many times a week are you rushing your family out the door? 

A culture of HUMILITY
“God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”  James 4:6
How can we be completely humble?  Ask for help and model to your kids a life of teachability.

A culture of JOY
“A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.”  Proverbs 17:22
Make light of myself in the everyday moments of life.

A culture of LISTENING
“Be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry.”  James 1:19
When parents listen first, kids will follow.  Avoid interrupting, don’t steal away conversation, and listen to understand.

A culture of PRAISE
“Make a joyful noise to the Lord.  Sing to Him with gladness.”  Psalm 100:1
Sing in your home!

A culture of THANKFULNESS
“I have learned how to be content with whatever I have…”  Philippians 4:11-12
 “Thankful Box” with people, places, things to be thankful for… Pick one at dinner each night.

A culture of DILIGENCE
“The hand of the diligent will rule, while the slothful will be put to forceful labor.”  Proverbs 12:24
Motto:  Don’t quit.  Don’t give up.  Keep trying.

A culture of CREATIVITY
“In the beginning, God created…”  Genesis 1:1
Look for opportunities to find beauty in the everyday things of life.

A culture where GOD’S WORD IS TREASURED
“I have hidden your word in my heart, so I may not sin against you.”  Psalm 119:11
Spend time together memorizing God’s Word as a family… make it normal, non-dutiful, and fun.
Pin It

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great reminders, rachel, thanks for sharing!

mike, rachel & mia